Monday, January 24, 2011

A Tribute to One of My Heroes

Today's Glorious Food:
Breakfast:
Some Raw Jungle Peanuts
Drink: G.T. Dave's Organic Raw Kombucha Botanic No 9

Snack:
A ring of dried apple

Dinner:
Matt Monarch's cucumber yum pot! I couldn't remember his exact concoction, but it looked so yummy on his Utube. I took: 1 large cuke, peeled and 1 avocado, scooped and food prcoessed them together.
Then I put some pieces of dulse seaweed in the bottom of a bowl, poured the mix on top and mixed the dulse through it all.
It was delicious!
Small salad with red leaf, sunchokes, 1/2 tomato, alfalfa sprouts, carrot and nutritional yeast; with olive oil and Bragg's

Dessert:
small bowl of Artisana raw pecan butter (YUM; I love this stuff!) with shredded coconut and a small splash of agave

I want to pay tribute to one of my heroes who just passed away at 96; Jack LaLanne.
I remember, as a child, seeing him on tv in the mornings, along with his white German Shepherd. He was reaching people with his message of movement; that exercise each day was vital to our life force.
I've always held a soft spot of adoration for him. This morning, when reading his obituary on line, I saw that what influenced him and steered him in the direction of health was meeting Paul Bragg. Yes, readers, that is the same Bragg as Bragg's Aminos. Paul was an early advocate in the field of healthy eating of whole foods and waylaying disease in the body. I had no idea that Jack LaLanne met him and that this changed his life. This is when he lost weight and started exercising, subsequently changing the course of exercise with his personal philosophy and brilliant methodology and bringing weight training even to women in those days.
During different decades of his life, Jack undertook outrageous feats of skill, determination and stength, like having his hands and feet shackled and swimming across Alakatraz.
He was always sending a message to the world about what was possible if you took care of your body, mind and spirit.
I feel that his energy was not filled with ego at all; rather, he was passionately committed to reaching people with his message of health and letting them know that anyone could do it.
He was a true advocate for the health of humanity.
A few years ago, I read a great interview with him. As it turns out, he was basically eating all raw food; possibly some meat (I can't remember) but mostly all raw vegetables and fruit and no dairy, sugar or white flour.
He was still, at about 92, working out four hours a day.
I was just blown away by his consistent commitment; his powerful and gentle energy and his understanding of whole health.
He also had a beautiful marriage of 51 years.
His message was so simple, and if I close my eyes, I can hear it coming through the tv set of my childhood, knowing my mother was watching it.
Now she is in her 80's and still working out at the gym and with a trainer every week.
Thank you, Jack LaLanne, for giving life and health to so many people! You will be deeply missed, and I miss you already.

No comments: