Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Who did I once write in as a presidential candidate?

Day 3 of the Cleanse:
8:00 AM Salt Water Flush: 1 Quart warmed water with 2 teaspoons sea salt
11:15 AM 1st Quart Master Cleanser:
1 Quart warmed water with 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, pulp (and seeds), 5 tablespoons Grade B maple syrup and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (spicy)
12:30 PM Quart #2 Master Cleanser
4:30 PM Quart #3 Master Cleanser
6:30 PM Quart #4 Master Cleanser
Total: 1 Gallon

I have been an advocate and activist for health since my twenties; actually, since I was about ten and wrote into the Hills Corporation asking them if they killed horses for their dog food and got an answer back assuring me they didn't kill Mustangs. That reminds me of the disturbing video I saw this week exposing Whole Foods allowing many GMO foods into their store, including Monsanto's GMO corn, and lying to consumers about it. When a friend and colleague of mine emailed her local Whole Foods in response, they responded simply that they needed to train their team leaders more effectively in how to respond to consumers about which foods are clearly labeled as Non-GMO. Hello: That's not the issue. Blaming their employees deflects responsibility even more. The issue is that Whole Foods, which has always portrayed themselves as the number one advocate for non-genetically engineered foods, and has time and time again said that they do not support GMO's and do not carry them, has lied to us who support and trust them because of the drive to make a profit.
Is there also lots of good that Whole Foods does? Yes! Are there many foods worth purchasing there? Definitely. So what is the answer? It is to "call" them on this issue and let them know that this is unacceptable. We need to email our local Whole Foods and let them know that they need to uphold what we trust them to espouse with the food we buy for ourselves and our children. They will respond, and even if it is not the response we want, they will see the numbers of people who care about these choices and will have to step up to the plate with integrity. Here's what I wrote, if you are looking for how to word your email:
Hi,
As a Holistic Health Counselor and consumer, I am very disturbed about this video. I want to be able to not only shop at Whole Foods, but to send clients there reliably. My concern is that Whole Foods carries ANY GMO foods. When the store was founded, I thought that the message communicated at the time was NO to GMO. It's not just about the labeling. It's about trusting the sources, and for Whole Foods to take a stand and not allow GMO foods inside the store. I appeal to Whole Foods to take a firm stand on this and eliminate all GMO foods from your store.
Thank you,
Hope Stanger
Back to my twenties, when I was living in New York City. It was then that I learned of the plight of the U.S. farm workers, and the major health risks they were being exposed to in order to supply the produce we eat. I received regular newsletters from the Untited Farm Workers (U.F.W.) that were so disturbing and graphic. This was an organization that told the untold truth about the lives of the many men and women who were working for low wages in our farming industry just to support their families. It finally uncovered and exposed the truth about pesticides and their impact on physical health. I got to see graphic images of real farm workers with cancer, skin lesions, corroded arms and legs, nerve damage and serious life-threatening illnesses resulting from being sprayed with pesticides while in the fields or handling the earth and produce that was sprayed. I learned all the scientific names for pesticides and the concrete scientific research about the physical health impact of each individual chemical. My eyes were opened and I wept every time I read a new newsletter from the U.F.W. So it's no wonder that in 2012,  I don't even know how to respond to one more person saying that they heard organic fruits and vegetables are no more healthy than non-organics, or that it's ok to eat the produce with hard shells or skins. Of course, I try to educate people time and again about this; that it is from day one of planting, and even before, that the soil is sprayed with a multitude of pesticides/chemicals, which continue to be sprayed through harvesting. The earth is sprayed; the baby seedlings are sprayed; the blooming vegetables and fruits are sprayed; and the fully grown plants are sprayed; over and over throughout the cycle. It doesn't matter if it's an avocado or a red pepper; when pesticides are used, they inundate the entire food. Back in my twenties, during a presidential election, I didn't align with either plan being presented by each candidate. Therefore, I decided at the time to write in as my choice Ceasar Chavez, the founder and head of the United Farm Workers, because I knew he genuinely cared about the health and well being of people on this earth, and that is who I wanted as president of our precious country.
It's food for thought...

No comments: