Sunday, March 28, 2010

Community Support

YUM! Today's Relationship with Food:
Breakfast:
Blueberry elixir with coconut water, water, frozen banana, frozen blueberries, psyllium seed powder, flax seeds, agave, raw crunchy almond butter, cacao nibs

Snack:
2 small golden delicious apples with raw crunchy almond butter

Late Lunch at Book Signing: potluck, at which I tried all of these yummy creations:
dixie cup of mushroom soup (mushrooms, soaked almonds...), guacamole with a couple of flax crackers, beautiful sprout salad with pea shoots and sprouts, with a spicy thai nut dressing, coleslaw with purple cabbage, pistachio-sundried tomatoe pate, sunshine cheese (with soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, water, garlic and sea salt; also a version with the pulp from juicing veges added so this one was green and delicious), jicama fries (one of my favorites) with a tomato basil dipping sauce, apple date cobbler

And...the best part: A friend brought a whole frozen Durian ( a large and sensual fruit from Thailand, which is banned in some places for its funky smell) and we got to eat Durian 'ice cream.' It's been so long since I had it. This, by the way, is beyond the beyond; a sheer food-gasm!

Dinner:
raw cacao elixir with coconut water, water, frozen bananas, cacao powder, cacao nibs, psyllium seed powder, raw crunchy almond butter, agave

I am committed to turning the model of 'alone' into the model of 'support.' The things we create, commit to, envision, dream and execute are not supposed to be navigated by ourselves. Out there, we are taught that we have to take it on and get wherever we are heading all alone. This is not the model I ascribe to; mine is the tribal model of shared support and community. In tribes, it wasn't solely the mother who took care of her baby; all the women had a hand in it. How we get to where and who we dream to be is with the cradling and lifting of others. Over the last couple of years, as I've gotten better and better at this, I ask my "tribe" for support in what I'm up to. I have someone who supports me around writing my book, others who check in about my commitment as a runner. I have a group of friends who walk with me through relationship conversations. And I have people who believe in and offer help with all of my dreams.
So, if you are wanting to bring more raw food into your life, you need to immerse yourself in that community; going to hear talks, joining a raw food Meetup group, asking your friends to support you in this vision and commitment when you eat together. I have asked that of my friends. Today a friend and colleague, Karen Ranzi, had a raw potluck and book signing for her brand new book: 'Creating Healthy Children Through Attachment Parenting and Raw Foods.' It's a brilliant book by the way, and if the title holds some interest for you and you would like to purchase a copy, you can contact Karen at: karen@superhealthychildren.com or call (201) 934-6778. I got my own signed copy from Karen. So, as you can see from my food today, I got to sample an array of amazing raw dishes. Plus, I met some really cool people, exchanged some emails and talked raw! I am so inspired by Karen and her commitment to the children and to this lifestyle. We get re-inspired everytime we surround ourselves with others who dream the same dream.
Please write in and share where you are asking for support in your life...