Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Seder #2

Today's Repast:
Breakfast:
Cacao Morning Madness with coconut water, frozen banana, psyllium seed powder, flax seeds, cacao powder and nibs, almond butter and agave; YUM!!

Lunch:
Salad with romaine, carrot, mushrooms, radish and sprouts with dulse and nutritional yeast; dressing of sea salt and olive oil

Snack:
Synergy Grape Kombucha probiotic drink
Raw Revolution chocolate hazelnut bar

Later Snack (I knew I would be eating late due to the seder and was hungry):
raw cashews

Dinner:
OK, so first of all, I had some more wonderful Shmurah (hand-batched) matzoh tonight, enjoying every crunch.
I only took sips of my wine and grape juice for the 4 cups; total of both maybe = 1/3 cup
jicama and avocado salad with what tasted like a mango dressing (raw)
red and golden beets with a vinagrette (cooked)
cucumber tomato salad (raw)
carrot walnut salad (raw)
Kiwi slices with scoops of pineapple and mango sorbet (no sugar; just fruit and ice)

I just got home from a beautiful second night of Passover seder at the home of Rabbi Moshe and Leah Shemtov of Stamford Chabad.
Chabad is an organization dedicated to serving Jews of all ages regardless of religious background or affiliation.
I cannot say enough about the energy each time I walk into their home. I have been invited their a few times for dinner, and this time for seder. Last time I was there, because Leah knows what I do as a health counselor and how I eat, she made me all kinds of raw vege appetizers for a Sabbath dinner! She has even organized a holistic health night for the community.
The love, the spirit of community and family and the welcoming energy were all present.
When I came in, Leah told me that specifically on Passover, they never use anything processed to make their food; it is all from scratch. They don't use any sugar. She said she had been thinking of that and of me, knowing I would appreciate that. Because of this, though, they do not use oils and just for Passover use chicken fat (schmaltz) instead; just a little bit in all the main dishes.
So, I had all the amazing vege and raw starters and skipped the main course. One of the main course dishes had chopped parsnip and carrot and sweet potato and eggplant; roasted root vegs. I didn't eat it because of the chicken fat, but it looked delicious. Forty five people came to share this seder!
I sat across from a neurologist and we shared what we each do professionally; he appreciated my focus on food as medicine, healing eating disorders and creating an ecstatic relationship with food as our most intimate partner.
He was even sharing some holistically oriented methodologies he brings into his practice.
There was a wonderful young man in his junior year of high school asking me how I deal without having meat and how hard that must be. I got to tell him that it is actually ecstatic. Surprisingly, the neurologist piped in and said, "Meat is an inflammatory in the body, right?" I loved it!!
Please write in and share what food you appreciated today...

No comments: