Monday, March 22, 2010

Spontaneity and the Key to Staying Raw

Oh, boy, what I ate today:
Breakfast:
The remainder of my raw chocolate avocado pudding (did I tell you it gets bettter and better?) straight from the serving bowl
the remainder of my raw cacao elixir; about 5 ounces

a couple of handfuls of cashews
a couple of pieces of raw goji granola

30 ounces lemon water

Dinner:
2 appetizer bowls of guacamole
mixed salad with mescalin greens, avocado and corn

Dessert:
1/2 raw Moon Pie from Pure Juice Takeaway (17th and Irving Street, NYC); part of Pure Food & Wine, and the best raw desserts anywhere. A Moon Pie is a rectangular block of chilled chocolate, layered inside with coconut cream and chocolate
part of 1/2 pint of raw oreo cookie ice ream
part of 1/2 pint of almond butter cup ice cream; also from Pure Juice Takeaway

First of all, for the first time ever, while I was out running, my craving for raw chocolate pudding overtook my desire to run and I literally stopped my run to go home and finish it off!
I realized last night (though with eating all raw, you often don't see any typical monthly "symptoms," that my menstrual cycle has me due tomorrow...therefore the cravings -keep reading to see the yummy foods in which I indulged. Also, hooray that I stopped running to go eat chcolate; sometimes, you just have to listen to your body and your hormones, and this warrior runner did just that!

So, here's the story. I was gifted by my friend Tommy Purple Hays, founder of Drums from Heaven, to dinner and tickets to a fabulous concert, including he and two others opening for the main act (native American two time Grammy winner Bill Miller) with their drumming pieces.
Thank you, Tommy and Donna for this beautiful night. My friend Stephanie came with me as Tommy's guest, too.
So, everyone was ordering Mexican food, and I thought about taking a one night break and having a mushroom quesadilla. But feeling raw has been feeling too good, so I ordered a double order of guac and the salad. I really stayed with my vision and my body's response to being back 100%, and let go of the pull of cooked food.
In the middle of the show, I suddenly had that old "road trip" side of me come up (I am a hippie at heart). By the way, we were in Teaneck, NJ. I thought, when this show is over, I want to make a side trip into NYC and get some raw desserts; this to really honor my choice to stay raw through dinner.
Lucky for me, when I voiced this to Stephanie when leaving the place, she was totally cool with it. So, we drove from NJ into NY before heading back to CT.
Somewhere, a small voice was saying, "What are you doing? Just do the moderate thing and go right home." I am so glad I listened to the rebel in me! We made it into the city in no time, and had a great time at Pure Juice Takeaway. Steph also got a raw strawberry smoothie. Then I had them ice pack (remember that trick!) my remainding ice cream for the trip back to Connecticut (god forbid I should eat the whole thing in front of Stephanie! though once I was by myself eating a whole pint of it and my boyfriend at the time walked in; it was like 10:00 or 11:00 at night!).
When trying to stay clear with your vision and commitments, do whatever it takes to validate that lifestyle, even if it's spontaneous and a bit outrageous.
Write in and let me know whnat you've done recently to ensure your commitments to your life....

2 comments:

Stephanie Besson said...

Loved the moon pie!!! Would go back there in a second.... And can't wait to dance with Tommy's drums from Heaven.

HolisticGirl said...

That was an amazing Moon Pie experience! One day, I want to eat a moon cake! Thanks for sharing it all with me.