Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Runnin' to Raw Soul for Dinner

Today's Food:

Breakfast (more towards lunchtime):
Amazing, energizing Elixir (with too many cacao nibs - read the blog) with coconut water, water, 2 frozen bananas, chunks of frozen mango, cordyceps powder (a superfood mushroom, or fungus, really, that supports the thyroid, adrenals, endocrine and libido), psyllium seed podwer, flax seeds, cacao nibs and a splash of agave.

Lunch:
a few thin slices of Manna carrot raisin bread with smears of almond butter
1/2 avocado with a little olive oil and Herbamare seasoning

Snack:
3 Brazil nuts

32 ounces lemon water

Dinner at Raw Soul, 145th Street, NYC:
Louisiana Gumbo soup (had tons of veges, including okra); Shared: pesto pizza; lasagna; BBQ burger; pilaf; peppermint cheesecake

16 ounces coconut water

Mid-day, while highly blissed out from my raw elixir, I had the unbelievable urge for dinner at Raw Soul. I asked my friends Ron and Heather to join me. Heather had never eaten a raw meal up until tonight, so that was kind of cool. I think the pesto pizza was her favorite. It's always great to go to Raw Soul with friends; then you can order more food! As it turns out, Lillian and Eddie, the owners of Raw Soul, are going away on holiday tomorrow. If we had come tomorrow, the restaurant would have been closed for vacation; perfect timing!! By the way, I just adore Lil and Eddie, and their hearts and souls go into creating the food and environment. Yay! to Heather for stepping into the raw world! My personal favorites are always the BBQ burger, pesto pizza and any cheesecake that Eddie makes. He masters the art of raw cheesecake, and this one was peppermint with dark fudge frosting; WHOAH! Ron is cool, as he spends half his days eating raw and the other half eating high-end chef food. He is a Holistic Health Counselor, a Kushi Institute macro chef and a graduate of ICE culinary school in NYC; talk about diversity!
On another note, as good as this meal was, and trust me, their food is beautiful, my body is speaking up loud and clear; solid food is feeling way too filling; the cries for a juice feast were coming up again. My body is ready to let go of large-scale eating; it's just a matter of time.
On a side note, when "dancing" with raw chocolate, or cacao. please try to insert it into your day with enough water and or food to balance its responses in the body, or use it sparingly. I think the best time is after a day of food as a raw elixir nighttime drink.
I have lived on raw cacao superfood smoothies with great response in my body, and at other times, the cacao is so intense that it gives me a bit of a nauseous, heady reaction and blood sugar imbalance. One of the raw revolutionaries in my field (who shall remain unnamed) refers to it as crack-ao :) Raw chocolate can act as a superfood, and is loaded with magnesium and other goodies, but just be sure to balance it and not overload your system with it.
My "wei chi" is feeling much better today; had a wonderful run this morning and feeling very energized.
I encourage you to write in with any questions about this lifestyle.....

2 comments:

Julie said...

Ceceila and I were just talking about you, Ron, IIN and the Kushi Institute today - funny you chose to mention that. So - I have a question about cacao and blood sugar - is the cacao that is affecting your blood sugar, or is it the banana & agave that you add to the smoothies - have you tried cacao without any sweetness added? And does it have a similar effect on your system?

HolisticGirl said...

Yes, Julie, what an awesome question; thank you! I've been exploring that myself. I do not believe it's the banana or agave, because I've experienced it otherwise wihout them, and typically have no blood sugar response to either food. But I do want to see if it's what happens when combined with Cordyceps. As we know, sometimes one thing can exacurbate another. I made ablueberry smoothie today, but put in fewer ninbs and no cordyceps; I'll keep you posted. Hi to Cecie!